Jesus called his apostles (and us) to not only follow him, but to become ‘fishers of men.’ After that initial invitation his apostles walked away from their day jobs and followed Jesus. Their lives changed but their actions? Well, let’s just say that it’s a lifetime learning process. But, with a desire and the work of the Spirit, miracles happen.
Here are just a few suggestions on how to be a fisher of men:
1. Teach by example, not by words. Words, no matter how beautiful, can be empty if they are not spoken in truth, sincerity and love.
2. Preach to not at. Always extend the invitation and always include yourself.
3. Walk the walk…. stumble, fall, get hurt and bruised, but don’t stand there and just talk the talk. Walking together is always a good idea.
4. Don’t sit in judgement. Jesus is the only one qualified to pass judgement and even he never ended it with the criticism. Judgement was used to open eyes and then always followed up with a better way.
5. Love, love, love. Forgive, forgive, forgive. How you may ask? PRAY, PRAY, PRAY.
In summary….what not to do?
Preach at others
Set yourself apart from others
Yes….a lifetime learning process!